Avery passed the 15 month mark on Saturday (time flies!). I waited a few days to post this because he had a doctor’s appointment yesterday. He’s in tip top shape.. still tall and skinny, but that’s how landed on the charts since he was born. Here’s the run down on Avery at 15 months…
Weight 22.8lbs (25%)
Height 32.5in (87%)
Head 18.9in (74%)
Clothes Size 18 & 18-24 clothes. Some 18mo. sizes are too small already! Size 4 shoes. Size 12-24mo socks…which he will outgrow soon!
Teeth I have to admit, although sleep was a battle for us, Avery has been a very good teether. In the past month, he’s popped in two molers on top. So in addition to the 4 front top & bottoms, that makes TEN TEETH! He was really drooly and screamed randomly for a couple weeks, but other than that, they just popped in. It did take a while to finally see them though, because if you stick a finger in Avery’s mouth to check his teeth, he will sure as heck bite that finger off!
- Gra-Gra (hungry)
- Ba-Ba (pacifier or sippy cup)
- No! (while shaking his head back and forth)
- No (for nose)
- Choo-Choo (train)
- Brummm! (car/truck vrumm)
- Cluh-Cluh (chicken cluck)
- Bah (bath)
- Dah! (that! while pointing to something)
- Bye (while waving)
- Pointing. Avery points to something he can’t reach if he wants it. He even knows what cupboard his food is in and points at it when he’s hungry.
- “More” in sign language.
- Gives High Five
- Gives Kisses & Blows Kisses
- Waves & Says ‘Bye’
- Asks for help by holding out his hand (when he needs help on stairs or to get into the laundry basket)
Sleep We’re going on month three of sleeping thru the night! It only took 13 months, but he’s finally a really good sleeper. Avery naps 2hrs midday (1230-230pm), and sleeps thru the night (7pm-630am). He is a very cranky little guy when he wakes up. I think he takes after his Daddy in that aspect. They both need a good 30-60 minutes every morning to really wake up.
Food Avery is a good eater. You wouldn’t think that with how skinny he is, but the kid will eat hot dogs and sausage until he explodes!
He still loves his meats. Hot dogs, sausage, chicken, meatballs are his favorite! He has recently given in to mommy giving him noddles and he’s digging spaghetti and noodles. He likes rice but I think he likes throwing it more than eating. And he’s still hating veggies. I still offer them, but he’s no fool. Even if he’s starving, he’ll fling them on the floor. In a typical day Avery eats…
- Breakfast cereal bar & sausage
- AM Snack cheerios, craisins, Gerber crunchies
- Lunch hog dog, mac & cheese, applesauce, fruit strip
- PM Snack yogurt
- Dinner spaghetti & meatballs
Avery does great with a fork. He can poke the food and sometimes puts it in his mouth, but most of the time he will pick the food off the fork with his finger. The spoon is another story… he likes to stir food with a spoon and that’s about it. We’re working on it…
New Skillz (in addition to past skillz)
- Stacks blocks (VERY high!)
- Turns pages in a book (he takes a book off the shelf and starts ‘reading’)
- Rolls a ball back and forth with partner
- Tickling! (he loves tickling others… or himself..and makes the ‘tickle, tickle’ noise)
- Dancing (this isn’t too new, but Avery loves to dance…usually when a commercial comes on TV with a song, he busts a move by bouncing up and down and doing a head bob)
- Brushes Teeth (although he tends to just chew on the brush, he does move it back and forth)
- Scribbles with crayons (he’s more interested in drawing with them and carrying them around than eating them like he used to)
- “Sit” (when Avery is in the tub or climbs up on a chair, we ask him to sit, and he does)
- “Bring this to Grampy” (If you give Avery something and tell him to bring it so someone, he gladly does)
Personality Avery is a very happy toddler. He claps his hands when he’s proud of himself for putting a toy away or bringing mommy a toy. He loves playing games like hide and seek or tickling… he has this laugh that is so fake, because he’s trying to laugh but it’s not quite natural yet. He loves to share his toys and help Mommy with laundry (puts clothes in and out of basket), sweeping (loves to push broom around), and vacuuming (loves using the dirt devil all by himself). In large group settings like Christmas gatherings and the mall play place he can by shy and want to be held, but quickly warms up and before you know it, he’s running circles around the room.
Avery is an explorer. He loves pushing buttons or opening and closing things. He loves being outside, but doesn’t care for his confining snowsuit and mittens that don’t allow him to grasp anything. He get’s VERY frusterated if he can’t do something. Like if he is ‘sweeping’ and the broom gets stuck, he screams and throws it down. He will go back to it and back it up and everything will be fine. I have a feeling he’s gonna have Daddy’s temper and Mommy’s stubbornness… oh dear.
Avery does have his moments though. He can be very clingy at times, wanting to be held and doesn’t play alone for long if Mommy leaves the room. And then there are the temper tantrums. If something is taken away or he can’t have something, he throws a fit! He will flail and cry and lay down on the floor.
Avery is growing so fast…. I can’t believe how quickly this all goes. I cherish every moment I have with him. Although he put Mommy through a tough first year (in which I never slept!), he’s worth every second of lost sleep. I don’t want to rush time, but it’s just getting more fun… Avery can ‘help’ make projects with Mommy like cooking and we make some DIY projects together for Christmas gifts. I look forward to everything that is to come…
If you missed Avery’s 12 month progress, click here.