So much has changed the past few months in the food department for Avery – we’ve phased out the formula, bottles, and Gerber mush. Now, Avery drinks water, milk, and juice throughout the day from sippy cups and he eats pretty much whatever we’re eating.
Avery does great with finger foods. He still gets spoon fed liquids like yogurt and applesauce, but we’re slowly teaching him to use a spoon. He knows how to hold it and put it in a bowl but I’ve only seen him bring it to his mouth once. He seems to think it’s a toy more than a feeding utensil. Oh well… the doc says we don’t need to master this until 18 months.
We’re lucky Avery hasn’t had any food allergies yet either. His latest food we’ve tried that we were originally avoiding because Vinay is very allergic was eggs. He likes them, especially when they come with sausage. We haven’t tried any seafood yet, or peanut butter.
As much fun as trying new foods has been, cleaning up the mess after is not as much fun, to say the least. When Avery’s strapped to his highchair it usually starts good… he mows down his food like there’s no tomorrow.
Then when he’s full, he gets a kick out of trying to feed you the food, then he starts smushing the food with his fingers, and eventually throwing it…EVERYWHERE!
After Avery eats, he needs a good wipe down. Messy messy eater! Then we need a good 5 minutes to clean up the floor and chair, now covered in remnants from the meal. Oh and I should mention Avery’s highchair is stratigically placed ontop a plastic mat (originally for an office chair) so his food doesn’t get on the dining room rug and it’s easier to clean up.
Some days Avery is super picky and will only eat goldfish and cheerios. Other days, he will mow down food and I wonder where he puts it all! His tiny 21 pound frame can only fit so much! And some days he loves one food and the next he hates it. I always have to have an arsenal of food ready to feed him in case he doesn’t like the original stuff I give him.
Here’s what Avery’s munching on these days:
- Dirt (although it’s not technically a food – he does like to sneak a bite when I’m note looking…)
- Meat (sausage, chicken, pork, turkey, beef-especially hot dogs!)
- Crackers & Goldfish
- Dried Fruits
- Apples (give him a whole one and he will chomp pieces out of it!)
- Mac & Cheese
- Ice cream, popsicles & french fries (rare treats)
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Toast, Bagels, & Grilled Cheese
- Rice & Pasta
- Cereal & Granola Bars
- Grapes (he will eat the inside and leave the skin)
- Home Fries
- Bananas (but you have to hold it for him, otherwise he will smush it!)
- Cooked Carrots
- Peas (he smushes them with his index finger!)
- Green Beans
- Mashed Potatoes
Typical Meals in a Day:
- Breakfast – cheerios, toast, oatmeal with fruit, milk
- AM Snack – cereal or cereal bar, milk/juice
- Lunch – applesauce, chicken, rice, corn, fruit bar, milk/juice
- PM Snack – yogurt, milk
- Dinner – mac & cheese, peas, sausage, cookie, juice, milk at bedtime
How do you get your kids to behave during meal time? We’re a long ways away from table manners, but at least he could stop throwing the food!